5.13.2010

12W12S Update: Week 2, Day 4

GAME CHANGER!


I am bored with yogurt so I decided to change things up for today. I went with a more graze-style breakfast, instead of one big meal. I am not technically counting calories, although I am trying to be aware of them because when we get into the later weeks, I am going to need to know where I can make cuts if I expect to see any results. By my calculations, the combination of

[yogurt] + [granola] + [fruit] + [nuts]

is approximately 550-650 calories, depending on what kind of yogurt I am eating, and what kind of fruit. I figure yesterday was closer to 650 kcal -- about 170 for the yogurt, 200 for the granola, 100 for the banana, and 150 for the nuts -- while the days I ate raspberries were on the lower side.

Today I wanted something different, but I also wanted to stay in the same calorie range, so here is what I came up with (but calorie counting is NOT the point so I won't do this all the time):
  • 2 cups tea with Equal and creamer, 25 kcal
  • cinnamon raisin bagel, 150 kcal
  • ½ ounce cream cheese, 50 kcal
  • 1 ounce Jarlsberg cheese, 100 kcal
  • 1 ounce smoked ham, 45 kcal
  • 1 cup grapes, 70 kcal
  • ½ cup pistachios, 150 kcal
As you can see, I consider this to be almost two breakfasts, one American-style and one European-style. (In my head, I think of the "European-style" plate as "the skinny French bitch platter.") I don't think this is more food, necessarily, just more stuff. There is less fiber in today's breakfast, but it photographs better. By my estimates, the amount of protein is approximately the same. This is a harder breakfast to pack because it requires more prep work.

Also, in case you were wondering, as per the Prime Directive, following Starfleet rules and regulations, in that mug I have tea, Earl Grey, hot.

2 comments:

  1. do you eat just breakfast and then lunch? or is there a snack in there, too. it might help if you eat everything but the pistachios (or banana) at breakfast, and then sometime around the mid-point between breakfast and lunch ate whatever was left. keeps the blood sugar a little more steady, and helps you not feel as hungry at lunch. but it all sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wonder why i can't read your comment right now ... i must have borked something when i fixed the header. dunno. anyway. i ate the bagel and the tea for breakfast, and the rest for snack. usually about 2 hrs apart. most days i just have the nuts left, and i am fine. today i am gnoshy. don't know why. i know that the protein is supposed to make you feel full, but i definitely feel like i am missing something from not having the granola. i actually think that the extra salt from the meat and cheese might be throwing me off.

    ReplyDelete