I've decided not to make any New Year's Resolutions in 2010. The fact is, I never stick to them, and I also never forget them, either. Oh, sure, the details might get obscured somewhat, but in the not-so-far-back reaches of my brain, I am acutely aware of the fact that at one point in the previous decade (somewhere between 2000-2002), I resolved to learn to quilt, bought a sewing machine and everything, and I never so much as completed a stitch, and what with being Catholic and all, the guilt is pretty crushing. Not to mention, I have craft shit all over the house, and we are running out of room to store the reminders of my epic failures and character flaws.
This year I decided to do something different, something more "productive" and less "instructive" and I'm going to be doing it right here, on the riffraff blog: a kind of hybrid "Project 365" type thing, where I will do something creative and post it every day. My inspiration for this was an article from Photojojo, which has been appropriated by other sites and extrapolated into other similar ideas for other media (e.g., digital scrapbooking).
Of course, I have the attention span of a gnat on amphetamines, and this sentence is going to bore me before I finish it, so I already know that I am never going to make it through an entire year of a-photo-a-day kinds of stuff. Plus, there are ideas in my head that I need to express in other ways, ways that passively observing and documenting cannot fully accomplish.
I mulled it all over, and I basically came up with this: even though I am pretty sure I'd never be able to get all the way through a single-medium Project 365, it's better than even money that I'll be able to do it if I allow myself to make this into my own-style thing. So that's what I'm going to do: a hybrid, multi-"media" Project 365.
Basically, every day in 2010, I will post something here. It might be a picture, or a poem, or a drawing, or a recipe, or some other kind of writing. There might be a theme for the week, and there might not. Maybe on Monday I will post a picture, and on Tuesday I will write a poem about it, and on Wednesday I will complete a digital scrapbook page inspired by it, etc., or maybe there will be a whole week of pictures of nothing but flowers. Something like that. I can't see the future, so I don't know what you'll get.
The other "rules" I've decided to set for myself, just to make things interesting: So that there is no overlap and therefore no "cheating," I will not post any pictures on both blogs -- it's either here, or on the 'riffic, but not both. (I'll be putting my Project 365 photos in a separate Flickr photostream.) Also, when I write, I will limit my entries to 365 words per post. I am anticipating writing some original fiction -- i.e., I might come back around to that novel that I was supposed to be working on for NaNoWriMo 2009, and didn't get very far with. 365 words is a manageable bite-size, so I might actually get it done.
So ... good idea? Bad? Terrible? Have I lost my mind? (More than usual, I mean?)
12.30.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment