6.24.2013

Recipe of the Week: Broccoli-and-Ham Breakfast Casserole

My last two breakfast casseroles were a big hit in our house (at least for me) so I tried a new one this week. This one was adapted pretty closely from this recipe from Kalyn's Kitchen -- the only major changes were that I added diced ham and substituted Egg Beaters for some of the eggs. This tastes a lot like a broccoli and cheese omelette, so if you like that sort of thing, then I think you'll like this one as well.

= = = = =

Broccoli-and-Ham Breakfast Casserole
Makes 6-8 servings, depending on how big you cut them and your specific ingredients
(When cut into 8 servings, ~150 calories per serving)

  • 3 cups fresh broccoli, florets and some stems (about 1 big broccoli crown, cut up)
  • 6 oz. diced ham*
  • ¾ cup shredded reduced-fat Colby Jack cheese (or similar reduced-fat cheese)*
  • 3-4 Tbsp. green onion tops (or 1½-2 Tbsp. dried chives)
  • 6 whole eggs
  • 1½ cups Egg Beaters*
  • Seasoning salt, to taste
  • 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese

* NOTE: Ham can be omitted, if you like. The original recipe doesn't even use it, but I found diced ham that is only 20 calories per ounce, which works out to about 15 calories per serving, which I figured was perfectly fine for a little extra protein and hammy goodness. You can use any kind of shredded cheese in this that you like. We've been using mostly reduced fat (2% milk) shredded cheese, but we did see a full fat "mac n' cheese" blend at the store that would be delightful in this. If I had been able to do the math in my head and known that this was pretty low-calorie for one of these casseroles, I would have used that instead. But anything is fine, really. Go nuts. I love cheese and don't judge anyone for their personal cheese preferences. Also: I used plain old "regular" flavored Egg Beaters in this, because that was all I could find at the store, but pretty much any flavor will work here. Three cheese or Florentine would both be great. I recommended cheese-and-chive flavor last week, but it looks like they don't make that kind any more, so ... sorry, I guess?

Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 7¼"x11¼" baking dish with cooking spray (optional). Cook broccoli in about 2 quarts boiling lightly-salted water for 2-4 minutes or until desired doneness. Drain and rinse in cool water. If desired, chop into smaller pieces. Arrange broccoli in the bottom of baking dish. Cover with ham, cheese, and green onions. Open whole eggs into a bowl and break the yolks. Add Egg Beaters and seasoning salt and LIGHTLY beat just until blended. Pour egg mixture over ingredients in baking dish. Lightly stir with a fork just until combined. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350°F for 35-45 minutes or until eggs are set and lightly browned. Remove from oven, allow to cool, and cut into servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment